We plaster with many different lime plasters in Somerset, Wiltshire and surrounding areas. Lime plasters contribute to a low carbon footprint. A hydraulic lime (NHL) will reabsorb around 50% of the carbon during set, where as a non hydraulic fat lime putty will absorb 100% and more during its reaction with air and moisture in its lifecycle.
Hydraulic limes harden quickly and more over time. Fat lime putty’s can be adapted to do a hydraulic set in areas such as external wet sides of homes when used with a added fired clay called pozzolans that will increase the speed and hardness of the setting. They are both very hygroscopic. As a result they will improve the quality of air and regulate moisture in a house.
Insulating Lime plasters
- Ty-Mawr Lime Hemp – Course and fine hydraulic and non hydraulic fat lime hemp internal plaster – This plaster can be added at up to 30mm and can be finished smooth with the fine and superfine plaster. Dry times for overcoat vary from the fat lime to the hydraulic 5-8 days depending on conditions. Technical guide – File-1559643599
- Adaptivates breatha-plaster – A great fibrous internal plaster. A quick to use plaster with up to 20mm thick per coat. Overcoat at the end of day or next. Can be finishd smooth with a slight texture in grey.
- Secil Eco cork insulating plaster/render– This is a cork based hydraulic plaster that can be used interior/exterior surfaces. It can be used in conjunction with their consolidation mortar and cork insulation boards. Used at a thickness of up to 20mm finishes coarse and can be over coated with most finishing plasters. Technical guide – File-1510738100
Fat lime putty plasters and renders
- Mike wye Heritage and Regency lime putty plaster – A great smooth interior fat lime plaster that is used on even surfaces up to 4mm thick. Undercoat of Baumit dg27 is needed on to gypsum, plasterboard and mixed backgrounds.
- The beauty of the Regency top coat plaster is a smooth stony finish that does not need painting due to marble added to the mix.
- A verity of pigments can be added and a colour chart of existing colours is available.
- It can also be polished to give a marble like effect with a polishing soap and a wax added. This can then be used in wet rooms.
- Lime putty mortar– A lime putty plaster that can have hair, fibre and various sized sands added. To be used on internal lath, wood wool board, stone, brick or external stonework, straw bale and hempcrete.
- Pigments or coloured aggregates and sands can be added to lime plasters to match existing stone or mortar. Its built up in layers with scratch and flow coat or pointed into stonework. It can be brought pre mixed or mixed on site with the correct sized sands and fibers added.
- Ty-Mawr – Lime top coat finishing plaster – A superior fine and superfine internal/external plaster non hydraulic. Used on top of the base/flow coat plaster which can be used inside and out on lath, brick and stone.
NHL Plasters and Renders
Natural hydraulic lime plasters hydrate quickly a bit like cement and can be a harder bond. Its very important the set of these plasters are controlled with damp coverings to prolong the hydration reaction giving a stronger bond and longer life cycle.
NHLs lime plasters come in a bagged form which are usually pre mixed to have the correct sized sands for the base flow and top coats. Some of the pre mixes have other things added in these to improve the consistency. Often a throw or stipple coat is applied to add a key to dry stone and brick. There are a wide variety of plaster hardnesses with nhl 2, 3.5 and 5. Also there are many different types, base coats and finishings plasters. Recommended ones are Secil Tec, St Astier and Baumit ehich are found at both Mike wye, Ty-mawr lime and Lime stuff.